Prior to 2008 Belgian field hockey was not played at world-class level. In 2008 the Belgium’s National men’s hockey team (BNT) qualified for the first time in history for the Olympics in Beijing. It ended 9th but missed the Olympic ticket. In 2010 BNT did not qualify for CT, EC or WC, but coach Colin Batch introduced TopSportsLab to support them using the latest Performance Management techniques.
It is BNT’s objective to win a medal at the 2016 Olympics. In order to achieve this they set up both a short and a long term performance plan. For the 2012 Olympics they require the development of a structured, consistent and physical development plan. The plan needs to be sustainable and personalised per athlete and include a player’s tracking mechanism to prepare the athlete for the future, capable of winning a medal at the 2016 Olympics.
In 2010, TopSportsLab was selected as their preferred long term operational excellence partner. Monthly meetings with technical and medical staff were held to tighten the collaboration. Whereas 3 head coaches have been in charge since 2010, the collaboration between KBHB staff and TopSportsLab remains intact. TopSportsLab keeps track of scientific breakthroughs on the market ensuring KBHB to be the first mover on innovation.
- 2011: 5th EC
- 2012: 5th CT, 5th Olympic Games
- 2013: 2nd EC, 2014: 5th WC
- World ranking in 2010: 25th. In 2015: 4th
- Numerous youth talent were selected for the first national team. Workload management was implemented throughout the youth selections.
- Olympics 2016: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: Belgium’s men Hockey Team wins SILVER medal in rio.